ABOUT LOCAL POLITICS
Like the Wild West (and the rest of America) Taos is not without its vigorous political tradition. Whether its commissioners against mayor, protestors against mayor and commissioners, pay to play, underserved severence packages, shady back room deals, mano a mano filanderings,family favorites, police and politics, and more...Taos is colorful, passionate, dangerous and naive.
blog us about your opinions, observations, suggestions: humorous or not. Sign anonymous if you want...We are interested in the stories, not the story teller...
NEWEST ISSUES LOCAL POLITICS 2012
TAOS COUNTY COMMISSION PROVES AT THE MOST DISFUNCTIONAL. RACISM, SEXISM, AND STUBBORN NEW MEXICO COMMISSIONERS EMBARASS THEMSELVES AND THEIR COMMUNITY.
CRIME RISES IN TAOS WITH HIDDEN GANGS AND POOR POLICE PROTECTION IN THE TOWN AND THE COUNTY.
NEW RESIDENTS MOVE FROM TEXAS AND OKLAHOMA IN DROVES TO SNATCH A PIECE OF THE BEAUTY OF TAOS AND NORTHERN NEW MEXICO WITH THEIR OWN RULES
LOCAL FIGHT TO MAINTAIN LA CULTURA AND THE SLOW WAY OF DEALING WITH THINGS THE WAY THEY ARE USED TO
CATHOLICS FIGHT THE OLD MARTINA'S HALL RENOVATION BY FOREIGN BORN GERMAN
GANGS FESTER IN THE PERIPHERY WITH ESPANOLA AND QUESTA BEING MAJOR CENTERS OF DRUG TRAFFIC...NO HELP FROM POLICE...NO MONEY FOR POLICE
MAYOR CORDOVA CRITICIZED FOR BEING A BUSINESSMAN
BEAUTIFUL TAOS DROWNS IN TRASH AS LOCALS CONTINUE TO THROW TRASH ON THEIR BEAUTIFUL LANDS...NO PENALIZATIONS.
SMALL CORPS AND BUSINESSES COME TO TAOS TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE POOR.
MEXICANS LIVE ON THE PERIPHERY OF OUR BEAUTIFUL LANDS...HIDING
RICH WHITE ANGLO'S MOVE IN AND TRY TO LOCK OUT THEIR LANDS TO LOCALS..
TEXAS TAKES OVER RED RIVER AND ANGEL FIRE...TEXAS BUMPER STICKERS SAY "YOU CAN ALL GO TO HELL, I AM GOING TO TEXAS"...WHY ARE THEY HERE???
LOCALS STRUGGLE...WORKING FOR SMITHS AND ALBERTSON'S AND WALMART...LOCALS FORCED OUT BY HORRIFIC PAY ...NO HOPE
NEWEST ISSUES LOCAL POLITICS 2011
- KIT CARSON COMMAND CENTER - VOLUMINOUS EXPENSE - IS IT NECESSARY?
- MORE BREAKINS AND BURGLARIES AS TAOS ECONOMY SUFFERS...POLICE SORELY UNDERSTAFFED.
- TAOS GORGE VENDORS OUSTED FROM GORGE BRIDGE BY PUEBLO AND DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION.
- WAGE CUTS MUNICIPAL SCHOOL TEACHERS
- UNSOLVED CRIMES POLICE DEPARTMENT
- EXPENSE OF NEW JUDICIAL CENTER MULTI MILLION DOLLAR COST TO TAX PAYERS
- AIR FORCE FLYOVERS
- SUICIDE OFF THE RIO GRANDE GORGE BRIDGE
- TOWN COUNCIL ENDORSEMENTS (Taos Friends United (TFU), endorses Judi Cantu and Fred Peralta for the Taos Town Council. TFU, an organization dedicated to land preservation and responsible development in Taos, held a Forum on February 6th for the six candidates running for two seats on the Taos Town Council. The candidates responded to eight questions directly related to TFU's objectives. Based on their responses, TFU requests that you vote for Judi Cantu and Fred Peralta. Voting ends on March 6th.)
- MARTINA'S HALL BEER AND WINE LICENSE REJECTED BY TAOS COUNTY COMMISSIONERS FOR FOURTH TIME (In a contentuous meeting 2/21/12 Town Council Members Jaramillo, Chavez and Sanchez nixed the license request in a 3 - 2 vote amidst angry and frustrated remarks from constituents. Suggestions of racism, archaic stubborness and vows to "vote the bums out" were expressed throughout the media. Taos citizens furious).